[This page is still a work in progress]
- 8th Report of the Law Commission of India on the Sale of Goods Act, 1930
- 9th Report of the Law Commission of India on the Specific Relief Act, 1877
- 13th report (1958) of the Law Commission of India on the Contract Act, 1872
- 20th Report of the Law Commission of India on the law of hire-purchase
- 97th Report of the Law Commission of India on section 28 of the Contract Act
- 108th report (1984) of the Law Commission of India on Promissory Estoppel
- The 2016 Report of the Expert Committee on amendments to the Specific Relief Act: available to download from here, thanks to Mr. Badrinath Srinivasan
Early scholarship / scholarship about the legislative history
- Pollock, The Law of Fraud, Misrepresentation and Mistake in British India (Tagore Law Lectures, 1894) [This version was made available by a US-based library: the details are on the first page of the pdf.]
- Pollock & Mulla, The Indian Contract Act (1st edition, 1905) is available here.
- Whitley Stokes, The Anglo-India Codes is available here.
- Jain, “The Law of Contract before its Codification” (1972) Journal of the Indian Law Institute 178
Recent academic commentary
- Briggs & Burrows, The Law of Contract in Myanmar (2017) (a commentary on the Myanmar law: the same legislation as the Indian Contract Act)
- Naravane, “The place of reasonableness in the restraint of trade: just how much does India depart from the common law?” available on SSRN
- Srinivasan, “Hardship and Substituted Performance as Defences against Specific Performance” (2019) 31 National Law School of India Review 53
- Swaminathan, “In search of a mythical exception to privity of contract in Indian law” (2016) 43 (1) Journal of Malaysian and Comparative Law 53
- Swaminathan, “Lalman v Gauri Dutt: Legend and Reality” in Umakanth Varottil et. al. (eds.), Corporate and Commercial Law in India: The Reform Decade (Eastern Book Co., 2019): also available here.
This page is updated from time to time; and if readers have any suggestions to add to here, please let me know using the contact me page.